Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Delilah

Okay, admit it, people, you like the Delilah song, even if you're not about to start wearing a "I am Delilah" T-shirt. And even though you are probably wondering (as I did listening to the five 14 year old girls in the car sing along at the top of their lungs) if the issue of the song isn't, as it says, "Oh, it's what you do to me," and instead what, given that she's a "thousasnd miles away,' what she isn't doing to him. Clearly I have given this too much thought, but the dang thing is a cute melody and I can't get it out of my head.

(ps. I've been reading Daniel Leviton, in his Your Brain on Music, about the process by which these snippets of songs get locked in your head. Usually a fifteen to twenty second clip of a song which is typically easily singable even by a person who is not especially musical. It seems to get locked on a repeating loop. This is precisely what happened to me with the endlessly chirpy chorus of the Delilah song for a couple of days. With me, one loop often replaces another, and in this case, it was replaced by chunk of the Rolling Stones' She's So Cold. Go figure.)

No comments: